Kannur, also known by its anglicized name Cannanore (Cananor) with fortification. St. Angelo Fort was built in 1505 by Dom Francisco de Almeida, the first Portuguese Viceroy of India. It is situated by the Laccadive Sea about 3 km from Kannur town. In 1507, the fort was besieged by the local ruler; the Portuguese rule over Cananor would last 158 years and then replaced by the Dutch. The ownership of the fort has changed hands several times. In 1663, the Dutch captured it. They subsequently gave the fort its present appearance. The Dutch sold the fort to the Arakkal Royal family in 1772. During this time, the Arakkal Sultanate began issuing coins.
India Historical prints.
18th Century print copperplate engraved with hand coloring.
Artist: Jacques Nicolas Bellin (1703 – 21 March 1772) (Royal Hydrographer, engineer of the French Navy and member of the Royal Society)
Origin: Histoire Generale Des Voyages, by Abbe Prevost, Publisher: Paris: Didot.
18th Century maps & atlases & prints. ORIGINAL ANTIQUE MAP HAND COLORED. Map is Absolutely Guaranteed authentic original map. A Certificate of Authenticity will be on request forwarded for each individual map or print.
Size: Sheet app.: 14.25 x 10 inches. 36 x 25.5 cm. Image app.: 11.25 x 7.5 inches. 28.5 x 19.5 cm. Condition: Nice antique print in very good condition, centre fold as published.