New Map of the Carolin's / Carolinschen Eylanden Bellin 1757
Title: Neue Karte von den Carolinschen Eylanden
Description: The first recorded sighting of Caroline Island by Europeans was on February 21, 1606, by Pedro Fernández de Quirós, a Portuguese explorer sailing on behalf of Spain; his account names the island "San Bernardo." The atoll was "rediscovered" on December 16, 1795 by Captain William Robert Broughton of HMS Providence, who gave the atoll the name Carolina (which later became Caroline) "in compliment to the daughter of Sir P. Stephens of the Admiralty.
French and American expeditions converged on Caroline Island in May 1883 to observe an unusually long total solar eclipse.
Author: Jacques Nicolas Bellin (1703 – 21 March 1772) (Royal Hydrographer, engineer of the French Navy and member of the Royal Society)
For: Antoine-François Prevost's " L`Histoire Generale des Voyages" Published by Pierre de Hondt, The Hague between 1747 -1780.
Size: Sheet app.: 42 x 22.5 cm. 16.5 x 9 inches. Image app.: 38.5 x 19.8 cm. 15.25 x 7.75 inches. Condition: View very good, light soiling and small skillful marginal repair.