Caroline Island Micronesia New Guinea antique map Bellin 1757
Title: Nouvelle Carte Des Isles Carolines.
Early old map of the Caroline Island, colored copperplate gravure.
Info: The first recorded sighting of Caroline Island by Europeans was on February 21, 1606, by Pedro Fernández de Quirós, a Portuguese explorer sailing on behalf of Spain; his account names the island "San Bernardo." The atoll was "rediscovered" on December 16, 1795 by Captain William Robert Broughton of HMS Providence, who gave the atoll the name Carolina (which later became Caroline) "in compliment to the daughter of Sir P. Stephens of the Admiralty French and American expeditions converged on Caroline Island in May 1883 to observe an unusually long total solar eclipse.
Auteur: Jacques Nicolas Bellin (1703 – 21 March 1772) For Antoine-François Prevost's monumental 20 volume edition of L`Histoire Generale des Voyages published by Pierre de Hondt, The Hague between 1747 – 1780.
Orgin: Histoire Generale Des voyages. France version.
The map was a part of Mapandmaps Historical Map Collection, a large collection of rare old cartographic items.
Size: Sheet app.: 42 x 25 cm. 16.5 x 10 inches. Image app.: 38.5 x 19.5 cm. 15.25 x 7.75 inches. Condition: Fine map in overall very good condition. Fold as published.